Mobile Marketing for Small Businesses
There are over 7 billion cell phones in use globally, which means that close to 80% of the world’s 9 billion inhabitants has access to a mobile phone. With that kind of reach, businesses can no longer afford to ignore the opportunities presented by mobile marketing. In particular, small business owners should also consider how the mobile market can benefit them.
What Is Mobile Marketing?
Mobile Marketing involves marketing and advertising strategies that are focused and conducted on mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets. Mobile marketers communicate with consumers by sending text messages or SMS. Smart phone owners can also be targeted by marketers via mobile internet, social media, and mobile applications.
With Mobile Marketing, you can send a simple marketing message to consumers or ask them to participate in a contest, survey or poll. Smart phone users can also visit a mobile website.
Mobile Marketing was not feasible just a few years ago but now that consumers can receive text messages and view images on their smart phones, marketers and business owners must adapt and embrace this new medium or fall by the wayside.
Mobile Marketing: What It Means For Small Business Owners
In the US alone, billions of text messages are sent every day. The number of mobile phones in use actually exceeds the total population in the United States. Mobile marketing using text messages is the fastest growing advertising medium. The use of mobile phones for text messaging now exceeds voice and internet access combined. This is clearly a call for small businesses to go into mobile marketing if they want to reach more customers.
In recent years, subscriptions to newspapers and magazines have declined. Radio stations are finding it a challenge to attract listeners, and direct mail is not getting a lot of response. Gone are the days when your fingers did the walking on the Yellow Pages.
But just because the traditional channels for advertisements are on the wane does not mean that there is no need to advertise or market your products and services. Businesses still need to advertise, and this need is greatest in small business owners who must market more aggressively if they do not want to be swallowed up by big corporations.
For the past few years large corporations have been using mobile marketing in the form of text messaging. There is a shift in advertising strategies from traditional media to mobile, and global brands are using mobile advertising more aggressively.
Small businesses do not have the resources and marketing budget that big corporations enjoy. Luckily the cost of text messaging has gone down considerably, making text message marketing more affordable for small business owners. Previously, only big companies could afford a mobile marketing campaign because of the difficulty and cost of launching one. Today, it’s more affordable and easier than ever for small businesses to advertise on mobile devices.
National chains and large corporations have the resources to take customers away from you. But with the availability of mobile marketing, you can level the playing field and reach your customers directly with great offers and special deals that they can get only from you.
These days, mobile marketing is not for big corporations only. Owners of small businesses must take advantage of mobile marketing strategies if they want their business to succeed.
Facts About Mobile Marketing
- 50% of all local searches are performed on mobile devices
- 86% of Mobile Internet users use there device while watching TV
- By 2014 Mobile Internet usage will overtake Desktop usage
- 29% of mobile users are open to scanning a mobile tag to get coupons
- Over 1/3 of Facebook’s 1 billion + users use Facebook Mobile
- 500 Million Twitter Users, 50% of them use Twitter Mobile
- Over 200 Million You Tube views occur everyday on mobile devices
- Women ages 35-54 are the most active group in mobile socialization
- Of the 7 Billion mobile phones worldwide, over 1 Billion are smartphones and over 3 Billion are SMS (text) enabled
- 91% of Mobile Internet Access is to socialize compared to 79% on Desktop
- 500,000 businesses are running Click-To-Call Ads on mobile devices
- 3 out of 5 searches are done with a mobile device
- Over 30% of all Restaurant searches are from mobile devices
- 9 out of 10 cell phone searches result in an action such as purchase or visiting a business
- 88% of local information seekers take action within a day
- 65% of mobile users said they use their device to find a business to make an in-store purchase
- 48% of users said they use their mobile device to look up product ratings or to find promotions
- 2/3 of smartphone owners shop on their phones
- Local Information Seekers are action oriented, 95% use smartphones, 88% take action, 77% call or contact a business
- QR Code scans increased by 4549% between 2010 and 2011
- 87% of people expect to get a coupon or discount when they scan a QR Code
- 46% of people who scan a QR Code do so to receive a discount
- 14 Million Americans scanned QR Codes in July 2011
- Mobile Coupons get 10x the redemption rate of traditional coupons
Benefits of Mobile Marketing for Small Businesses
Mobile marketing is the fastest growing form of advertising today. It gives business owners an opportunity to easily reach their target audience and interact with them. But despite its popularity and widespread use, many people are not aware of its many benefits and advantages over traditional marketing strategies. Here are some of the benefits offered by mobile marketing:
- Deliver timely messages: Immediacy is one of the primary benefits of Mobile Marketing. Mobile phone owners have their device within easy reach for the most part of the day, so they can receive and read or view your message within seconds of receiving it. If the cell phone happens to be turned off, the message will be received and seen as soon as the phone is turned on again.
- Creates a personal connection: Marketing messages are sent directly to customers’ phones, which creates a personal connection with the recipient. The personal touch that it adds to advertising is perhaps the most important benefit of mobile marketing. Unlike billboards, TV commercials or print ads, an advertising message sent to someone’s personal phone will grab the attention of your target audience.
- Opt-in form of marketing: Unlike direct mail or e-mail where business owners can purchase a mailing list, customers must signify their willingness or desire to receive mobile ads and offers by providing their phone number. This means you’ll be sending your advertising messages to people who want them, resulting in less waste and higher conversion rates.
- Mobility: Your target audience does not have to be tied down to a computer, television or radio to receive your marketing message. Customers can receive your ads and offers on their mobile device at any time, even when they are on the go. There are even applications that can automatically generate an offer whenever a customer is within the locality of your business.
- Effective: According to many surveys, Mobile Marketing campaigns that utilize text messaging have higher consumer response. Over 90 percent of text messages are opened and read. Mobile marketing allows small businesses to reach a larger audience in a short span of time. Up to 83% of customers read the text messages they receive within one hour. The personal approach in mobile ads also helps increase customer response and sales conversion rates. Consider this: response rates to mobile ads average 15% while the response to direct mail is about 2.6% on average.
- Affordable: Another benefit that the mobile market brings to small businesses is its affordability. The cost of text messaging has gone down considerably in recent years and it doesn’t cost much these days to launch a text message advertising campaign. A Mobile Marketing campaign can be integrated with other marketing programs to help increase response rates.
- Easy to Track: Customer response to mobile advertising can be tracked immediately. Unlike traditional forms of marketing, mobile advertising allows a two-way communication between the marketer and customers. The one-to-one nature of communication in a mobile device makes it possible for marketers to profile and identify those who are most likely to become prospective customers. By utilizing mobile marketing, small businesses can track delivery rate, response rate, and sales conversion. The ability to track and assess the effectiveness of their marketing campaign is critical especially for small businesses that must keep a watchful eye on their advertising dollars.
- Potential to go viral: Mobile Marketing is easy to share and forward to friends and family. Mobile users who receive valuable information or special deals are often eager to share these messages within their group. When mobile users share or forward Mobile Marketing to others, marketers get more exposure at no additional cost or effort on their part. Mobile Marketing campaigns have the potential to transform into viral marketing.
How Can Small Businesses Get Started In Mobile Marketing?
Mobile Marketing is one of the fastest growing media for advertising. Many businesses, big and small, have discovered how effective and affordable it is. This is not to say that mobile marketing is the solution to your marketing problems, but it can help generate more sales and revenue when utilized correctly.
You’ll get the best results when mobile marketing strategies are integrated into your overall marketing program. Before taking the plunge into mobile marketing, you must first determine if it can be applied to your business and marketing goals.
Orbis Consultancy is a Full Service Mobile Marketing agency that can help you get started with Mobile Marketing.
We believe that no other channel can deliver immediacy and relevance like mobile. Our key purpose is to help clients take full advantage of the medium and create an unfair edge over their competitors.
Mobile Marketing is marketing on or with a mobile device, such as a smartphone. Mobile Marketing can provide customers with time and location sensitive, personalized information that promotes goods, services and ideas.
Why should you use Mobile Marketing?
- Creates immediate response
- Are frequently carried by users anywhere they go
- Allows you to have more personalized customer management
- Ensures convenient sales tracking
- Is an opportunity for unlimited earning potential at minimal cost
- The secret of successful Internet marketing success is creating traffic
We provide a suite of Mobile Marketing Services to business:
- Mobile Website Creation
- SMS Marketing (Text Marketing)
- Mobile Application Creation
- Mobile Search
- Push Notifications
If you would like more information on our Mobile Marketing Services and to find out how we can help you increase your business, please call us at 619-345-4189 or use our Contact Us Form to reach of us.